iPhone ringtones

Hey, everybody.

We’ve quietly introduced support for iPhone ringtones to Myxer. If you look at the main page for any item in the Myxer catalog, you’ll see a little “Download for iPhone” link under the phone number box that looks like this:

iPhone icon

Check out today’s Pick of the Day to see what I’m talking about.

When you click the link, you’ll be able to download a file to your PC that you can then import into iTunes and sync to your iPhone. Pretty cool, huh?

(We wanted to make the ringtones downloadable right from iPhone when browsing the Myxer site, but that’s not possible because of how Apple’s locked down the device. For now, you’ll have to use your desktop computer to pull down your tones.)

Have fun with it, and as always let us know if you have any problems or question.

Myk

— UPDATE – 7/2/2008 —

Hi again,

I just wanted to give all of you iPhone folks an update. As many of you have noticed, there is currently no Download to iPhone link if you customize a ringtone or make your own ringtone. Sorry about that.

We are working on adding that to our site and hope to have it available soon.  IWell keep you updated.

Marsha

in news with 87 Comments

87 Responses to “iPhone ringtones”

1. mike April 4, 2008 at 12:03 am #

hey guys,

im somewhat new at this and was wondering after i upload the song i want to use a ringtone what do i do next to download to my computer so that i can use it on my iphone. it doesnt give me the option to d/l to my computer..? is there another program that i need to use in order for this to work?

thanks,
    mike

2. mykwillis April 4, 2008 at 12:46 pm #

Mike – sorry, the iPhone downloads are currently only hooked up for shared items in the Myxer catalog. When you use the “make your own” functionality, there isn’t an iPhone download option (yet).

That will likely be wired in with the next release, sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Sorry for the confusion!
    Myk

3. cindy April 6, 2008 at 7:49 am #

its not working!! :( help!

4. buttcheeks April 6, 2008 at 11:26 pm #

this sucks hiney hole i dont have an i phone i have the voyager

5. frustrated:( April 8, 2008 at 3:20 am #

I downloaded ringtones and synced my phone, but they do not play when i receive a call. I can play the ringtones on my phone,but they don’t play when I receive a call. Help me.

6. mykwillis April 8, 2008 at 12:07 pm #

Mr. Buttcheeks (if indeed that is your _real_ name!) -

The good news is that we’ve supported the Voyager for a long time, so you should be all set!

7. mykwillis April 8, 2008 at 12:11 pm #

Frustrated -

Do the ringtones you download show up under the “Ringtones” tab in iTunes? If they show up with all of our other music, they’re probably not getting the correct file extension when they’re saved. The file name you download should end in “.m4r.”

When you sync your iPhone, you should see the ringtones listed under Settings | Sounds | Ringtone.

One thing I have noticed with my iPhone is that sometimes if I try to sync multiple ringtones at the same time, iTunes doesn’t copy all of them over for some reason. Re-syncing typically fixes the problem.

If you’re still having trouble, please send a note to support@myxer.com and they can work on it with you.

8. kate April 9, 2008 at 8:32 pm #

the ringtones i downloaded from myxer show up in my recently added but not under ringtones. when i try to covert them to ringtones it says that they can only be converted if they have been bought from itunes! please help! i really want new ringtones! :)

9. Ryan April 9, 2008 at 11:25 pm #

sumwat disappointed at this cuz it only gives u 18 second ringtones and with ringtones that are 30seconds it only gives u 18seconds anyway

10. mykwillis April 10, 2008 at 1:27 pm #

Ryan – the 18 second limitation appears to be aggressive on our part, because it appears iPhone can handle much longer ringtones. We’ll test out some other settings here in the lab, and update the web site to use longer clips if everything looks ok.

Thanks for pointing that out!
    Myk

11. mykwillis April 10, 2008 at 1:29 pm #

Kate (and anyone else) -

If the iPhone downloads are showing up in your iTunes, but they show up next to all of your other music (as opposed to being listed in your “Ringtones” tab), then the files are probably not being downloaded with the right file extension.

On FireFox, especially, it’s important that you use the right mouse click, “Save as” technique to save the file from Myxer to your computer. If you simply click on the “Download Ringtone” link, it’s possible for the file to be assigned the wrong extension, and therefore not be usable as a ringtone (but you’ll still be able to listen to it in iTunes).

12. Fairyfroggie April 10, 2008 at 6:27 pm #

I like to customize my ringtones to use different parts of a song or to get a complete phrase (some people really suck at selecting a cutoff point). LOL However when i tried it just sends a text message like before. Is there a way to customize then download for iPhone?

Otherwise this feature is AWESOME!!! Just got an iPhone the other day and would have been really bummed if I couldn’t use Myxertones.

Thanks again!!!!

13. RiCAN April 11, 2008 at 11:51 pm #

omg wish you would do this for sidekicks =[

i have the d wade and it doesnt work

**TEARS**

14. Elizabeth April 12, 2008 at 12:04 am #

the file is saved as .m4r. and it still won’t work so i tried re-syncing my songs and it still won’t work

what do i do next?

15. eggiewon April 12, 2008 at 1:46 am #

When i try to sync more then one ringtone to my iPhone it ends up coping the last ringtone more then once. i’ll end up with 3 of the same ringtone. can i get some feedback? thank you

16. sirena April 12, 2008 at 2:02 am #

When I look at ringtones on my computer I dont have the download to iphone button on it. Just on my phone but that doesnt really help me so i was wondering how to fix that..or if its possible..

17. kasey April 12, 2008 at 6:59 am #

after I have downloaded the ringtone and saved it to a file, when I try to drag it to the ringtone section in itunes, it drags but a little plus sign comes up underneath it and it doesn’t drop in the ringtones section. I have no idea what to do. please help!!

18. Javdaneh April 12, 2008 at 3:17 pm #

How do I make a ringtone that can be shared so I can later download it to my iphone? I know I cant just create it. So how do I get it to show up in a search for everyone to download?

-Javdaneh

19. Lulu April 12, 2008 at 4:28 pm #

The ringtones are supposed to be like 59 seconds long, but when I download the, for my iPhone, it’s only 20 seconds! Whywhywhywhywhywhywhy?

20. need help April 13, 2008 at 9:45 pm #

alright i have an iphone and im on my pc trying to get ringtones but the main page for my myxer.com doesnt have the “download for iphone” option.
    why is that? and how can i fix it to download ringtones?

21. mykwillis April 14, 2008 at 1:02 pm #

eggiewon -

RE: iPhone not completely syncing all of your ringtones.

I’ve seen this on my personal iPhone several times. I’ll try to sync up like 5 ringtones, and it will appear to work, but then iPhone will have only 1-2 ringtones on it, often with the same one repeated a couple of times.

This appears to be a bug in iTunes.

The only work around I’ve found is to just sync one at a time — it seems to always work correctly when you do that. Sometimes just resyncing a couple of times helps, but othertimes not. Sorry I can’t offer more help!

Myk

22. kasey April 14, 2008 at 3:11 pm #

23. phillyeagles031 April 15, 2008 at 4:58 pm #

hey! how do you fix the cell phone volume on customized ringtones?

24. Tristen April 16, 2008 at 8:36 pm #

hi, when i go to a ringtone the “download to iphone” link doesnt even show up, why?

25. eggiewon April 17, 2008 at 11:54 pm #

I’ll try it. Thank You Myk

26. les April 18, 2008 at 2:43 am #

cant figure it out either how do you download for iphone?

27. lauren April 18, 2008 at 3:04 am #

Yeah, the ringtones are only about 18 seconds. :(
    iPhones can handle up to 40 second clips, so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE update that so it works better.
    Thanks!

28. Marcella April 18, 2008 at 10:38 pm #

I do not have the i phone link under send to phone.

29. john April 19, 2008 at 5:36 am #

cant get it to work eather what is the deal

30. Arturo April 19, 2008 at 1:05 pm #

Very good idea gracias….!!!

31. Daver April 19, 2008 at 5:29 pm #

theres not alot of ringers for the i phone boo lol hope yall can put up more…..

32. michael April 21, 2008 at 4:34 am #

i’m unable to drag the ringtone file to my IPhone ringtone file section/I’m getting a plus sign and nothing happens………….HELP

33. kasey April 21, 2008 at 3:11 pm #

I am getting the same thing as michael above. Please help!!

34. emily April 22, 2008 at 2:00 am #

I just got an iphone but had a myxertones account. How can I change my phone? I saw a page that said that they can figure out that the phone got changed, but they didn’t.

35. JHM April 23, 2008 at 5:02 am #

can’t download any of the videos onto my iPhone, so disappointing!!

36. JHM April 23, 2008 at 5:06 am #

RE: ok, I can not get the ringtone to drag into the itunes ringtone section. When I try to drag it from the folder to itunes it wont let me drop it in. PLEASE HELP!!!

Go to ‘File’ from your iTunes and click on ‘Add file to library’ or ‘Add folder to library’…which ever is more convenient.

37. sdotsteveo April 23, 2008 at 6:27 am #

the download to iphones link isnt under the phone number box

38. Tasha April 24, 2008 at 9:08 pm #

I must be slow or something cause under my send to phone I don’t see a link that says send to iphone. Can you help:(

39. Jessica April 26, 2008 at 9:12 pm #

I am so lost??

Where in the worls is the
    Download to iphone button at??
    Or whatever I need to do

Can you help, please!

40. me April 28, 2008 at 3:30 pm #

the voyager works so much better than the i phone with myxer. i click send and then like 1 min later i get my ringtone! woot woot

41. Jimmy-Z April 28, 2008 at 5:56 pm #

Works PERFECT!!! Can’t wait for you guys to add the download feature to the customize feature.

42. kasey April 30, 2008 at 1:52 am #

ok… I went to the itunes- file- add file to library… and it still does not show up under the ring tones thing… what is the deal?????

43. Marsha April 30, 2008 at 7:30 pm #

Hi Jessica,

You should see the ‘Download for IPhone’ on the item page for each ringtone in our catalog. We don’t have the download link for Make-Your-Own ringtones yet, but we’re working on it and it should be available soon.

Stay tuned…

44. Linz May 1, 2008 at 2:55 am #

how do i find ringtones that have the download to iphone link??? i have not come across any? is there a way to narrow my search to only songs that have this option?

45. jacqui May 1, 2008 at 6:27 pm #

Do you have to have the internet in order to download ringtones.

46. jeser May 1, 2008 at 9:17 pm #

everything is working wonderful on my two iphones and I LOVE IT! but i would love it more if i can personalize the ringtone and be able to download it for iphone

47. jeser May 1, 2008 at 9:18 pm #

thanks myxertones.com your the best!

48. TJ May 3, 2008 at 2:35 am #

when i upload a song on my computer and edite it i cant get it on my iphone b/c it just sends it to my phone and i cant hit the download for iphone button

49. Erin May 10, 2008 at 8:00 pm #

hey i was wondering if there was a way to make custom text tones for iphones

50. Adrienne May 12, 2008 at 5:28 am #

Hey If you go to the home page it gives u an option at the top to create one to share and if u create one there, then u can download it like the rest instead of to a text. Im not sure if its because I signed up for the share and sell account too or what. Wish I could be more specific but I kind of just stumbled upon it. It worked though so I know it can be done. GL! ~A~

51. Adrienne May 12, 2008 at 5:31 am #

I just looked on the home page, its under crate and manage your shared ringtones and wallpapers at the top under the welcome ” “. Then choose the first option which is share something new. U might have to sign up for that other account though

52. legion May 13, 2008 at 5:53 pm #

What is the going rate for a 16gig, unlocked iphone these days?

53. Chris May 23, 2008 at 4:59 pm #

Best site I’ve found for iphone ringtones. AWESOME!

54. Jay May 24, 2008 at 9:54 pm #

Does anyone know the reason why i cant download a created ringtone from the site to my desktop for my iphone??

55. mykwillis May 24, 2008 at 11:30 pm #

A lot of people have asked why you can’t “make your own” ringtones and then download them to your desktop. Stay tuned! We ought to have that working here in the next week or two.

Myk

56. shutuptrixy May 29, 2008 at 4:00 am #

ive read through most of these comments and they seem to cover simple stuff that you guys are working on. but the one thing i have a problem with is that it says it will recognize my new phone (iphone) and it doesnt. and ive tried to re-do my account and nothign seems to work. and another thing ive been wondering, will it be possible to customize the ringtones before we download them? cuz rite now you have to take what you can get

57. trophysucka June 1, 2008 at 11:10 pm #

I have the ringtone in iTunes ringtone folder but when I sync it, it doesnt appear in the settings under ringtones under sounds.

58. kasey June 2, 2008 at 7:54 am #

Alright so here is the issue I’m having with this. I have downloaded some ringtones, they’re in my ringtone folder in itunes w/ the m4r extension & I have synced my iphone w/itunes. On my phone the ringtones appear under the custom ringtone section & they play on my phone. I can apply them as my ringtone, but then when I receive calls it will not ring as that ringtone, it rings as the first standard ringtone that came with my phone. I don’t understand this..?? Has anyone else had this issue & if so, how do I fix it?? This is an awesome feature, but it’s frustrating that I’m unable to use the tones as my ringer.

59. Rachael June 6, 2008 at 9:01 pm #

okay so i can click on the download to iphone and it downloads.. i drag it over and it adds to my ringtones. i checked and its like “song title”.m4r like it should so then i sync my phone and the ringtones are on there i can click on them and they play perrfecttt. i set them as my ringtone and they dont play? can you please help :)

60. Marsha June 7, 2008 at 9:13 pm #

Hi Rachael,

I think the problem may be that the ringtone is too long. Try shortening the ringtone to 20 seconds and try it again. I think that should do the trick, if not, please drop us a note and someone from our ace support team will be happy to take a closer look at your account.

Good luck and thanks for using Myxer!

Marsha

61. Shaun June 9, 2008 at 7:26 pm #

When I drag the ringtones to the Ringtones section in itunes, it adds the ringtone to my music section and not the ringtones section of itunes. I have checked the file extension and it is m4r, but itunes still won’t recognize it as a ringtone. Please help Myxer, and thank you.

Shaun

62. sparky June 10, 2008 at 3:57 am #

why is that it only lets me D/L 2 ringtones

63. Fran June 15, 2008 at 6:54 pm #

I love that I can download the Ringtones to my Iphone; I hope that there is a way soon to download longer ones. Thank you soooo much!!!!

64. bianca June 24, 2008 at 7:23 pm #

what or where is the myxer catalog

65. Delp312 June 25, 2008 at 5:22 pm #

When do you think that we will be able to make our own ring tones for the iphone?

66. travis June 27, 2008 at 8:16 am #

sucks…
    im trying to sync more then one ringtone and all tat keeps happening is the one song thats on top repeats its self

67. Flawless July 1, 2008 at 4:21 am #

I am currently using an unlock iphone with t-mobile i upload the ringtones .. they are in thew folder but when i try to sync my phone it says they cannot be played on this iphone ..please help me i am in need of ringtones

68. Rae July 1, 2008 at 6:54 am #

When I make a ringtone, it doesn’t give me the option to download it for the iPhone. Then, when I search the ringtones I’ve uploaded, they don’t show up as a search result.
    Help?

69. sarah July 2, 2008 at 1:48 am #

how can i download to my iphone with the ringtones i make on my own? help me please.

70. Marsha July 2, 2008 at 3:06 pm #

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for using Myxer!

Unfortunately, Make-Your-Own ringtones are not supported for the iPhone yet.

We working on adding it to our site and will definitely update the blog as soon as it’s available (hopefully soon).

Marsha

71. Nancy Dow July 3, 2008 at 4:04 pm #

I can’t get the ringtones to work on my sidekick slide. It send the link to my phone and when I click on it it says Content not supported? IS there something I am doing wrong?

72. Marsha July 3, 2008 at 8:49 pm #

Hi Nancy,

Nope you’re definitely not doing anything wrong. Unfortunately, the Sidekick phones just don’t allow you to save downloaded songs as ringtones. Sorry about that, it’s a real bummer for us too.

Thanks anyway for trying,

Marsha

73. kathy July 3, 2008 at 9:21 pm #

i did everything the directions said and it still doesnt work! i downloaded it to a file. dragged it to itunes. and then synced it. there is no ringtone folder on my ipod button of the iphone. what the heck am i doing wrong?

74. KieKIE July 5, 2008 at 12:43 pm #

WHen I put the ringtone in the ringtones section of iTunes and sync it says the ringtone cant be played with this iPhone. Help

Does the iPhone have to be upgraded past 1.11 (I think thats it)for it to work???

75. chan July 7, 2008 at 11:45 am #

How come my Iphone doesnt show multiple ringtones? it only shows the last downloaded ringtone in my Iphone? any suggestions?

76. chan July 7, 2008 at 11:49 am #

KATHY,

You have to downlaod the newest update for the iphone. Yes the iphone has to be upgraded from its original version. Has to be at 1.1.4. I had the same problem and just resolved it. Once the download is complete. Click update and add ur rintone and ur all set. Hope that helps.

77. Marsha July 11, 2008 at 10:40 am #

Hi Chan,

I’m not 100% sure what’s happening, but here are a few things to try:

1. Make sure you are selecting all of the ringtones you want to sync and that you didn’t accidentally click ‘sync latest added’ (which will leave the old ones out).
    2. Make sure that your ringtones are no longer than 40 seconds long.
    3. If all else fails, try undocking the iPhone, then re-docking, and trying again.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

Marsha

78. becca July 12, 2008 at 5:31 pm #

the ringtones i downloaded show up in the rigtone area but when i go to sync them onto my phone they dont show up under the phone ringtones HELP!

79. Jasenko July 12, 2008 at 9:27 pm #

Hello Becca,

Do you have the 1.1.4 version? Also, please make sure the ringtones are under 40sec when you put them into the ringtone folder on iTunes. If you have any other questions/problems , please e-mail us at support@myxer.com

Thanks and good luck!

80. Erin July 15, 2008 at 7:40 pm #

Hi, I downloaded the 2.0 update and now my ringtones don’t work! They worked perfectly fine before the update and I’m going through the same processes as before. Does the new version prevent 3rd party ringtones?
    Thanks!

81. Jasenko July 17, 2008 at 11:51 am #

Hello Erin,

We tested the 2.0 update and it’s working for us. Did you update your iTunes to 7.7.0.43? Also, are you using the “Download for iPhone” link when you try to download the ringtones to your computer?

As I mentioned above, if you have any other questions/problems , please e-mail us at support@myxer.com

Jasenko

82. Rob July 27, 2008 at 3:25 am #

I just recently got the new i phone 3g and tried to sync the ring tones to my phone. the ring tones show up in the ring tones section for i tunes but when i go to the i phone section where it asks you what ring tones you would like to sync it doesn’t have any listed. they also don’t sync to my phone when i try to sync. WHATS THE PROBLEMO?!?!

83. Jasenko July 30, 2008 at 11:40 am #

Hello Rob,

Sorry to hear that. Can you please make sure the ringtones are less than 40sec? Also, you do have the latest version of iTunes right?

Let us know how it goes.
    Thanks,

Jasenko

84. brittany August 1, 2008 at 9:23 pm #

why cant i send created ringtones to my iphone?

85. Marsha August 3, 2008 at 10:53 pm #

Hi Brittany,

We’re working on adding support for sedning Make-Your-Own ringtones to the iPhone and hope to have it ready in the next few weeks. Stay tuned. We’ll post an update when it’s ready.

Marsha

86. brennen January 22, 2011 at 12:51 am #

can i use the downloaded ring tone as a text tone and not just a ringtone?

• Blake January 25, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

sure can! just save it as the default sound on your device for incoming text alerts.